Have a way to dynamically change software associations at distribution level

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 5 09:56:17 PDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 2:57 PM, David Faure<faure at kde.org> wrote:

>> > In KDE the default priority is 1 and desktop files which set a priority
>> > often use 5 or 9, but well ;)
>>
>> Ok, seems good to merge that :)
>> So, priority will be 1 for default priority, x for priority set in
>> desktop file where distribution wants to be it the normal default
>> application (x is to definied... 5 ?).
>
> x has multiple values. That's the whole point of this system.
> The idea is: I have apps A and B, which are both good, so they
> have an InitialPreference set. If both are installed, A is preferred,
> so InitialPreference(A) > InitialPreference(B), but if only one is installed
> then it will be used.

Yes. In reality, I was speaking about a generic number shared between
upstream and pushed as a fdo spec. For instance, if we can say that
upstream projects has to put 5 as a default number.
1 will be automatically chosen for applications not pushing a value.
Of course, that's a place where distros can help upstreams to be aware
and push this default value as patch for them.

Then, distros can patch (or use whatever way they wish) to change the
defaults for them.

> That's what I meant by modular: it accomodates for the fact that apps
> can be installed at any time. A single file shipped by the distro doesn't
> do this (it could list all apps that are packaged by the distro at the time
> of the release, but it cannot list the apps that people can install on top
> of it from other ISVs -- for instance CrossOver Office, hi Francois ;) ).

Exactly. That's the reason why we are discussing now :)
Static lists are just... bad :p

>> and the range will be 1 to 10?
>
> There is no upper value currently.

Ok. we can define that there is no upper value in the spec.