[desktop entry spec] new WM_CLASS key

Aleksey Shaferov a.shaferov at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 12:54:41 PDT 2009

Hi.

I am the author of DockBar. This is taskbar like applet for Gnome desktop
environment.
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=97822

In the process of creation of DockBar I've found a big problem in that there
is no perfect way to found .desktop-file for launched application.
There are several ways to do it, but they are all far from perfection and
not always works.

There are some troubles in creation such programs (like
DockBar/AWN/Gnome-Do/etc....) because of the above mentioned problem:
- hard to find normal icon
- hard to find localized name for app
- hard to use launchers

Please take a look to launchers in DockBarX

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Dockbar+Experimental?content=101604
Users need to enter wm_class by hands.

Or take a look to Gnome-Do's sources
E.g.
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~do-core/do/0.8/annotate/head%3A/Do.Interface.Wink/src/Do.Interface.Wink/WindowUtils.cs
There is list of commandline prefixes and so on to find .desktop-file for
application.

I propose to add a new key to .desktop-files.
Please add WM_CLASS key!

P.S. Sorry for bad English.