[desktop entry spec] new WM_CLASS key

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Aug 24 16:09:31 PDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Aleksey Shaferov<a.shaferov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am the author of DockBar. This is taskbar like applet for Gnome desktop
> environment.
> http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=97822
>
> In the process of creation of DockBar I've found a big problem in that there
> is no perfect way to found .desktop-file for launched application.
> There are several ways to do it, but they are all far from perfection and
> not always works.

Yes, we are doing this for the GNOME 3 Shell.  I've typed up this page:

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/ApplicationBased

I haven't announced it widely up until now, but it's probably ready
for discussion.   I wanted to investigate adding a hint to
startup-notification with the name of the launched .desktop file, but
haven't had time yet.

Yes, I fully realize ultimately this is heuristic, and we do have a
fallback.  Note also the shell's current heuristics are not complete.