OSD symbols

Kenneth Wimer kwwii at sinecera.de
Wed Dec 2 15:39:56 PST 2009

On Wednesday 02 December 2009 11:55:13 pm Jakub Steiner wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 11:33 PM, Ted Gould <ted at gould.cx> wrote:
> > WRT icons wanting to use shades of particular colors or other things for
> > highlights, that can be achieved using SVG filters.  I don't believe
> > that rsvg supports the color map filter today, but fixing that would
> > probably be better than fixing it on icon theme side of things.  This
> > should give artists full control of what colors or shades of colors
> > they're using.  In some cases, this could look bad, but that's what bug
> > trackers are for ;)
> Hi Ted
> ...erm, or just set the stroke/fill color? This isn't Inkscape 0.47
> feature tour ;)
> What the important part here is that the color isn't defined in the
> icon itself, it's up to the widget theme to define in all sorts of
> different contexts like we have it for text. Eg. panel, menu, toolbar,
> when it's hovered over, disabled, that sort of thing.
> I would really want to keep this simple and monochrome (within one
> icon). As Rodney said, if we needed the complexity we could just stick
> to the generic theme. If we'd need a dramatic red color, we can color
> the whole thing/background. And it would probably simplify the
> implementation of the widget colors<>icon bridge.

Just having a stroke with one colour is not always enough, if you ask me.

So called monochrome icons might also need to add a darker/lighter
inset/outset at times to help define things. Ted, any ideas on how to define
those parts within the SVG? Perhaps adjusting the variable in a matrix or
such...If we are going to change things, let's change them with enough
flexibility to really allow for different interpretations from the start.