OSD symbols

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 06:38:15 PST 2009

On Sun, 2009-12-06 at 16:43 +0000, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> Jakub Steiner wrote on 02/12/09 22:55:
> > What the important part here is that the color isn't defined in the
> > icon itself, it's up to the widget theme to define in all sorts of
> > different contexts like we have it for text. Eg. panel, menu, toolbar,
> > when it's hovered over, disabled, that sort of thing.
>
> Maybe, but then someone would have to maintain a color naming
> specification (however simple) alongside the icon naming specification.
> I know of only one attempt to do something similar: CSS system colors,
> which was a failure. <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/ui.html#system-colors>
> We'd need to identify what went wrong there and how not to repeat it.

I don't think so. I think this should be handled as part of the symbolic
addendum to the theme/naming specs. It should specify how to name, and
how to design those icons so that we get the appropriate behavior with
being able to alter the colors in the widget themes.

This is important, because Qt or other widget sets may want to use the
same icons in the same way, and we need to allow for the fact that they
may not have the same states or color structure as GTK+. That said, I
don't think we need to really care about things like warning and error
colors. We just need to define that the paths that need to be drawn with
the same colors as text, have the appropriate metadata tagging on them.