What constitutes "user configuration files" in the XDG basedir spec?

Axel Liljencrantz liljencrantz at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 13:01:37 PST 2009

2009/2/9 Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be>

> On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 02:10:33 +0200
> Guillem Jover <guillem at hadrons.org> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 22:10:25 +0100, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
>

> > I guess the biggest issue would be trying to come up with a proper
> > definition for state.
> >
> > regards,
> > guillem
>

> Actually I think your "state vs configs" splitup is a very similar
> approach to my suggested "settings as configured by user/on behalf of
> user versus settings on behalf of the application itself" splitup at
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2009-January/010157.html
>

> In practice, all settings that an app would like to store without
> explicitly requested by the user can probably all be categorised under
> state, so our ideas are very similar.
>
> Your wording is probably better then mine, so a huge +1 from me for
> adding a 4th concept 'state' to the current list of cache, configs and
> data.

Am I correct in interpreting the above discussion as in the consensus being
that for now, what you refer to as state should be saved in the .config
directory, and that a future xdg version may separate it into a third
directory, perhaps to be named .state?

If yes, could perhaps this be clarified in the standard? I just got a patch
for a command line shell I am maintaining from a user who had written a
patch to move the commandline history from .config to .cache.

Axel