Identifying applications from windows to .desktop files

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Feb 24 14:38:34 PST 2009

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009, Milan Bouchet-Valat wrote:
[...]
> We are now tracking applications usage to build stats and present the
> user with the most used apps. For this, we identify windows with their
> WM classes, and want to map this to a specific application, i.e.
> a .desktop file.

Why start from the window name/class? Why not enumerate running
processes to identify which binary is running? From that binary it seems
like you could get back to the package name if needed.

             Research is the transformation of money to knowledge.
            Innovation is the transformation of knowledge to money.
                              -- Dr. Hans Meixner