New sounds naming spec suggestion for freedesktop

Lennart Poettering mzkqt at 0pointer.de
Fri Jan 2 04:11:40 PST 2009

On Tue, 30.12.08 20:06, Michaël Humblet (humbletmica at hotmail.com) wrote:

Heya!

> First of all, i'd like to thanks those who have written the
> documentation about the sounds spec, I was searching for that for a
> while to create a sound theme.

You're welcome!

> So, I said I wanted to create a new theme. I've managed to create
> and name all the sounds properly, except few with which I'm
> experiencing problems.
>
> These are:
> -button-pressed
> -menu-click
>
> In fact, they are too common, and override with other actions and so
> there are too much sounds played and it become annoying for the
> user.

Could you please be a bit more elaborate about this?

> In my opinion, what should be done, is to split them like this, in
> order to have deeper customization level and thus stop playing sound
> when you do not want them to be played.

Humm. I am not really convinced that this would be a good idea. I tend
to say that widgets that look the same should make the same
sounds. i.e. regardless by which program a menu is popped up it should
make the same sound. We should aim for uniformity in the UI, not for
balkanization.

> -panel-button-click (= any button clicked in the gnome panel, the start button for instance)
> -panel-menu-popup (= popup of the start menu)
> -panel-menu-click (= any program launched in the start menu)

I also don't think it would be a good idea to include the program name
in the sound name. Firstly, this would bind the whole spec very much
to GNOME and GNOME-like DEs. And then, if we do this at all we
probably should just add some logic to the lookup algorithm to not
only include locale, theme, output profile, sound name but also the
application/window name in the lookup paths. However, I am not even
sure we wan't this.

It's a matter of convincing me I guess. I am not generally opposed to
what you suggest, but I haven't seen the really convincing arguments
yet. Please try again and convince me that this really really makes sense
to have.

Also, Marc-Andre, what do you say about this?

Thanks,

Lennart