Summary of the fdo disussion at GCDS

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jul 9 04:25:00 PDT 2009

On Thursday 09 July 2009, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Le Thursday 09 July 2009, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> > points of contact and decision making are not necessarily the same thing.
> > our release team has enough to do as it is, [...]
>
> The role of the 'release manager' would be to read the mailing list, and
> forward or delegate the discution and decision to the right person.

* reading a mailing list should not be required in the first place

* asking people to play switchboard operator is asking for things to fall
through the cracks

* people who are interested in and involved with a given technology are
usually already aware of what's going on, and where they aren't it's because
those technologies are not publicized in a place they know where to look (so
we need a centralized place to publish this info in a non-transient fashion)

which is to say, there is no need for the role of a release manager, email is
a bad idea as a transport and we should concentrate on ways to get the people
doing the work to be directly informed and directly available.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se