Summary of the fdo disussion at GCDS

Sanel Zukan sanelz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 05:04:43 PDT 2009

> there are a few aspects to this one:
>
> * KDE + GNOME have the lion's share (by far) of the F/OSS desktop market, so
> if one goes by market share representation any approval would require those
> two groups

Don't get me wrong, but using this "share" term all ower this thread
simply implies saying to alternative desktops "fu** you!" simply because
you do not have larger user base (which is, at the end, implied mostly
by distribution(s) choice than user affinity).

> * however, many eyes make proposals good ... maybe it shouldn't be strictly
> market share

This sounds much better ;)

> * "KDE + GNOME" tends to assume that it will always be that way, that there
> won't be others with as much market share
>
> * it is likely that at some future point others will get involved with fd.o
> once it is running better that represent fairly unique interests; maemo and
> moblin might be examples of that

If this procedure gets implemented, I'm not sure will they be interested
in it, simply due this (proposed) complex bureaucracy.

> * if we do take into account other projects, who are already involved here
> such as XFCE/LXDE/Enlightenment, then we probably need to find a way to weight
> things so it's still representative (similar to how it's common to have a
> House of Representatives where each state/province/canton gets a # of seats
> relative to population size). how it should be weighted is probably a pretty
> lengthy discussion, and still doesn't take into consideration future changes.
> in any case, it could be as simple as saying that "XFCE, LXDE, Enlightenment,
> etc." represent one bloc in equality to KDE and GNOME, and a spec needs 2/3
> blocs with no bloc registering an objection. regardless of the actual
> weighting, the measuring is easy as long as we document acceptance in a
> machine-readable format. so the weighing would be light weight as a process,
> but coming up with how to weigh will not be.

IMHO this sucks. E.g. if XFCE, LXDE, Enlightenment and XYDesktop comes
with needed (and pretty cool, at least for them) spec, KDE says "maybe"
and GNOME says "no" (due policy or something else), then spec does down.

This way is against fd.o aim and philosophy. In this case, the name of
the body should be changed to gnome-kde-desktop.org too.

> regardless, we'll need to adjust it over time if/as the market conditions
> change.

Hardly will be done, because fd.o must not be a desktop centric place.
Expirience shows how this wasn't true in the past.

Just my few cents...
--
Sanel Zukan
http://equinox-project.org