freedesktop.org specification process

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Fri Jul 10 01:14:44 PDT 2009

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:42:43 +0200
Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher at kde.org> wrote:

> On Friday 10 July 2009 01:38:45 Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> >
> > Release teams ... I still don't agree with that ;)
>
> The rationale for having the release teams as the point of contact is
> that they already decide about dependencies of their software, they
> have an overview of what's being included and what's not, and they
> are used to these kind of balancing decision processes. Additionally
> each community is guaranteed to have a release team.
>
> This is mostly about a point of contact. It's not about doing all the
> work. But the release teams are likely to be in the best position to
> broker requests.
>
> Another advantage of doing it via the release teams is that there is
> an actual team behind that, and it's not a single person, who could
> become a bottleneck.
>
> We could also do something else like letting the formal organizations
> name representatives. But I like the simplicity of the release team
> approach.

Short comment before I leave for the festival: the reason why I'm not
particularly happy with using the release team as a contact point is
that release teams may change with each release. Specifications
are supposed to last longer than just a few release cycles of the
projects involved. Also, release teams are busy enough already. Why put
another burden on their shoulder which has nothing to do with their
actual job?

Does it really matter who the contact points are? As Aaron said, if two
persons from the same project disagree, then there's something wrong.
So I think it's better to get people involved who are actually working
with the specs, even if that may be different persons from time to
time. In the end you can always ask someone "is that the final
and official word from your project?" to be sure he gives the fact that
he's acting as a representative some thought ;)

  - Jannis