freedesktop.org specification process

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Sun Jul 12 10:12:49 PDT 2009

On Sunday 12 July 2009 16:56:51 Jannis Pohlmann wrote:

> We establish one or two persons per project as general freedesktop.org
> contacts. Whether they are part of the release team or not is
> irrelevant. These are the persons to contact when a new spec or
> whatever is brought up. They are also the persons to contact when
> per-specification contacts (see below) are unresponsive.

This makes sense. But as kind of fallback and ultimate authority for
representing a community we need some kind of general point of contact.
That's what the release team would be.

All this can be expressed in the organizations xml file, which is part of the
specification repository:

http://gitorious.org/xdg-specs/xdg-specs/blobs/master/organizations.xml

> Together with the meta data which holds information on the adoption of
> a spec in various projects, we list one or two persons per project.
> These are the per-specification contacts which are ideally involved in
> discussions and can be contacted e.g. for adoption status updates
> before a new version of a spec is released or when someone feels that a
> spec needs to be changed/improved. Ideally, most of the communication
> happens on public mailinglists and via the xdg-specs repository, so
> whenever a new projects wants to be listed in the meta data of a spec,
> one of its developers can extend the meta data with their own project
> information and request one of the admins to merge this change.

For per-specification contacts there are the authors of the spec, which are
listed in the specification meta data.

See e.g.
http://gitorious.org/xdg-specs/xdg-specs/blobs/master/specifications/WindowManager/metadata.xml