freedesktop.org specification process

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Sun Jul 12 15:17:46 PDT 2009

On Sunday 12 July 2009 23:15:26 Jannis Pohlmann wrote:

> I really don't think you need a release team fallback if you pick 2+
> leading persons from each project as its main fd.o contact. BTW, that
> already *is* a fallback for the per-specification contacts.

Using individuals as contacts in a community of volunteers always is a
problem. People are free to come and go as they wish and they do. So
eventually there won't be no contact left. This happens all the time. So we
need some kind of general contact.

> Uh, no, specification authors and people responsible for the
> implementations in various projects can be very, very different. What
> I'm trying to suggest is that we list 1+ persons per adopting
> organization as a direct (not a general) contact point. This would be
> persons who actually deal with the spec inside the adopting
> organization, who are ideally involved in discussions about the spec
> and are supposed to watch changes in the spec (if they are interested
> in). These persons may or may not contribute to the spec.

I'm fine with adding an implementors role in addition to the author and
maintainer role for a spec. This sounds like it would make sense.