Notification spec issue: Ability to assign an icon *and* an image to a notification

Aurélien Gâteau aurelien.gateau at canonical.com
Wed Jun 24 09:42:51 PDT 2009

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 June 2009, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
>> There are patches for libnotify, notification-daemon, kdebase and
>> notify-osd.
>
> org.freedesktop.Notifications ... *sigh* sorry, but that's not acceptable.

Most people here seem to prefer the backward-compatible approach, this
does not allow changing the dbus name. The only solution to this is to
create a new dbus spec and have existing notification daemons implement
both in a transition time. I do not see this happening...

While I agree the dbus name is not completly accurate, it is just an
internal name, not something users will face. Therefore I do not think
it justifies recreating a whole new one which would be better named.

Aurélien