Notification spec issue: Ability to assign an icon *and* an image to a notification

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jun 25 13:27:26 PDT 2009

On Thursday 25 June 2009, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Thank you -- that's exactly how I feel like this conversation is going.
>   As a notifications daemon implementer, I *really* don't appreciate
> being told "hey, just because we're pissed off that this wasn't
> standardised in the 'proper' way, you have to change how your app works
> and make a new release, otherwise you won't be compatible with apps
> going forward."  That's a dick move.

Brian, while I don't appreciate the tone of your email here (and feel it
borders on offensive), I'm glad that you're at least expressing your opinion.
I'd ask, however, that you do not rewrite history: we have been raising these
issues about galago for years here on this list as well as directly with the
authors. i understand that it's convenient for you to ignore that, but the
annoying situation you're in is your own making at this point.

I'd also hope that you would value the working nature of fd.o as a
collaboration point for F/OSS projects, and as such start engaging in a
process of "how do we fix this" instead of continuing to argue something that
will not actually lead to significant improvement.

now, you don't want to see any change in org.freedesktop.Notifications. i'm
willing to accept that, and if that is what happens it will mark the end of my
involvement with and support of the current freedesktop.org[1] _unless_ we as
a group can come up with a way of ensuring to our consensual satisfaction that
fd.o will no longer be run this way and thereby avoid creating more poor
results.

this is a vote of no confidence in fd.o as it stands, and the cause of that
lack of confidence is galago in how it represents the broken / lack of
processes here.

start arguing about that and we'll get somewhere.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se