Notification spec issue: Ability to assign an icon *and* an image to a notification

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Fri Jun 26 07:12:26 PDT 2009

Le Thursday 25 June 2009, Aurélien Gâteau a écrit :

> Yes, knotify gives you more control and I agree different users have
> different needs.
> What I meant was that if you feel the application is spamming you and
> you think most users will feel the same, then maybe talking with the
> application developers about this problem would be a good idea.

As Lubos wrote, this is again the same useless discussion as few years ago.

Can the specification be used to log some notifications, display some others,
and play a different sound for some others?  The answer is NO.

(There can be only one server running at the time, and there is no way we can
configure how a given notification can be presented, with the spec)

So now that we have the scope of the specification, PLEASE make a name so
people do NOT get confused AGAIN!

(and btw, regarding the "compatibility", we are breaking the one in KDE.)

The reason we did not use the specification as it is in the first place is
because it was not suitable.  So the specification need to be changed and the
compatibility need to be broken.  (You can keep a compatibility layer in the
original server if you want)