Amazed and appalled

Michael Pyne mpyne at purinchu.net
Fri Jun 26 16:24:07 PDT 2009

On Friday 26 June 2009 06:47:08 Mike Hearn wrote:
> 5 years on, I just wanted to say that I am in awe at how much time has
> been wasted discussing the *name* of the *interface* of the
> *notifications system*.

Aaron has already replied but no one has brought up a question yet which I've
been asking myself over the past couple of days: Why do so many people think
that the point of the notifications spec thread was merely to get a different
DBUS service name?

Aaron from the beginning when he brought it up said that he didn't like how
the name was taken, how it was not technically accurate anyways, *BUT* he
didn't mind making an exception for it as long as things like that didn't
happen again.  He's made concrete proposals as to how to have cross-desktop
discussion over specs instead of the (lack of) system that exists today.

Is it really that hard to see that what he's complaining about, and trying to
change, is the system at fd.o?  This is happening in the context of the
notification spec, but don't get your head wrapped around the axle here, the
BIG PICTURE is the fd.o specification process, not
org.freedesktop.Notifications.

> How are unpaid volunteers expected to get shit DONE like this?

Well I think the point is that we won't waste our time dealing with flamewars
about specifications in the future if we figure out how drafting and
publishing a fd.o spec is actually supposed to work.  Apparently we don't all
agree on what we think the process is right now, which is wasting tons of
unpaid volunteer time.

In other words, time is precious, paid for or not.  And especially for unpaid
volunteers like myself it would be nice to have a smooth running process for
handling the shared specifications/namespaces/etc. allocated by (or that
should be allocated by) freedesktop.org.

> Do you seriously expect ANYONE to volunteer their time to work on
> solving problems when the result of the work is that many years later
> you are said to have "screwed people over" and are a "hijacker"?

This wasn't just brought up 2 days ago, as has also been mentioned.

> I don't work on Linux anymore and care little for its future, but I
> have to say, don't you guys have MORE IMPORTANT problems to be solving
> than POPTARTS?!?

Brown sugar cinnamon Pop Tarts with coffee.  Problem solved.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne