basedir spec and plugins

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Tue Jun 30 05:02:55 PDT 2009

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 at 04:08:26 -0300, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> We'll need an architecture key, which is composed by the host OS plus at
> least the processor main type.

Multiarch http://lackof.org/taggart/hacking/multiarch/ addresses this by
taking the CPU and OS (or CPU and kernel+OS) from config.guess/config.sub, i.e.
`/usr/share/misc/config.guess | cut -d - -f 1,3-`:

> 	i386-linux
> 	x86-64-linux

i386-linux-gnu, x86_64-linux-gnu

> 	ia64-linux-32le
> 	ia64-linux-64le
> 	ia64-linux-32be
> 	ia64-linux-64be

ia64-linux-gnu (is the word size/endianness differentiation really necessary,
or is there one endianness and word size that, in practice, everyone uses?
If you really need to distinguish, talk to config-patches at gnu.org, without
which software that uses autotools probably won't compile for the "other"
configurations anyway)

> 	ia64-hpux-32 (subtypes g++ and aCC)
> 	ia64-hpux-64 (subtypes g++ and aCC)

Again, config.guess doesn't seem to distinguish: does nobody actually use one
of these configurations?

> 	sparc-solaris-32 (subtypes g++ and CC)
> 	sparc-solaris-64 (subtypes g++ and CC)
> 	sparc-linux-32
> 	sparc-linux-64

sparc-solarisN, sparc-linux-gnu, sparc64-linux-gnu.

It might be worth asking the proposers of multiarch how their work relates to
C++ compiler ABIs; in principle you could have sparc-solaris3-g++3 and
sparc-solaris3-suncc, I suppose.

    Simon