Comments on Tray Icon spec improvements

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at profusion.mobi
Mon Mar 2 18:50:12 PST 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt at canonical.com> wrote:

> Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote on 02/03/09 10:59:
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz at gnome.org> wrote:
>>> http://specifications.freedesktop.org/systemtray-spec/systemtray-spec-latest.html
>>
>> Out of curiosity, since we have libnotify and now the ubuntu
>> extension, is the message stuff still required/useful?
>
> The Ubuntu notification module (Notify OSD) does not extend libnotify in
> any way relevant to the system tray.
>
> libnotify lets an application request a bubble pointing at a particular
> widget -- such as a panel icon -- and translates that into the Desktop
> Notification Specification's "x" and "y" coordinate hints. But because
> of this translation, if the panel or other items inside it appear or
> disappear while the bubble is open, the bubble unavoidably ends up
> pointing at the wrong thing. And if two bubbles point at panel icons at
> the same time, they often end up overlapping each other. Notify OSD
> avoids this problem, as allowed by the spec, by ignoring the "x" and "y"
> hints.
>
> If pointing notifications at panel icons was a good idea at all,
> specifying it in the system tray spec might be a more robust method,
> because the panel could keep track of whether an icon had moved and move
> its balloon accordingly.
>
> However, Canonical's POV is that pointing a message at (or otherwise
> associating it with) a tiny icon in a panel is not a polite way of
> notifying people of things, regardless of what spec it's using.

Sorry by messing up on my phrasing, I know about OSD and libnotify, I
was just trying o know if there are plans to deprecate systray
messaging in favor of these new systems. I know if they are deprecated
it will take some time to vanish and may be good to support, but as
time is short this may be a good excuse ;-)

Regards,

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems