XDG, xdg-open, and view vs. edit

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Mar 31 11:12:40 PDT 2009

On Tuesday 31 March 2009, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Daniel Bo <daengbo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been lurking on this list for some time now and find it very
> > interesting. XDG (and FD.o in general) is a great step forward for
> > open desktops.
> >
> > That said, I wonder why the choice was to set a default application
> > for opening when most file types have view and edit modes. Why are
> > there not xdg-view and xdg-edit (or --edit and --view switches on
> > xdg-open)?
>
> I think you're referring to the MIME run actions spec
> (http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/mime-actions-spec)
> which has been in the "requirements-gathering / early-planning" stages
> (essentially dead) for years.

That's because we replaced it with the mimeapps.list support instead
(discussed on this list, but without a written spec as a result iirc)

But indeed that one doesn't differenciate "view" and "edit".

So it doesn't answer the original poster's question, but I want to point out
that if something needs to be done about it, then IMHO that's in mimeapps.list,
not in the dead mime-actions-spec.

OTOH I don't know how exactly this would work. We still need "left click on a file"
to do ONE thing, not two.