Multi distro/multi OS install: or package: URI scheme ?

Calum Benson Calum.Benson at Sun.COM
Fri May 1 08:20:23 PDT 2009

On 21 Apr 2009, at 11:17, François Revol wrote:

> Hi there,
> it occured to me Debian based distros have a custom apt: URI handler
> direct people to packages to install from a web page.
>
> http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2007/10/22/the-apturl-protocol-handler-in-ubuntu-710/
>
> It is an interesting initiative, but since I don't only use Debian or
> Ubuntu, nor only GNU/Linux, I'm wondering about a more universal
> approach.

You might also want to talk to the OpenSolaris packaging guys, who've
just introduced a similar feature for their 2009.06 release.  Can't
find many technical details on the web, but this might be a starting
point:

<http://blogs.sun.com/jmr/entry/packagemanager_for_2009_06>

Cheeri,
Calum.