Problems with NoDisplay and menu editors

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon May 11 03:50:31 PDT 2009

On Monday 04 May 2009, Travis Watkins wrote:
> Personally I'd rather go with the change to the meaning of
> Hidden as it makes the most sense to me (Hidden means it is hidden in the menu)
> and would still be compatible with the current menu implementations
> since they don't show Hidden items anyway.

This would break compatibility with all installed .desktop files which say Hidden=true,
with the intention of saying "this file is deleted". We cannot change this meaning,
for penalty of introducing 1000 bugs. This is a big veto from me for changing the
meaning of a 10-year-old .desktop file key, even though it was misnamed.

I don't actually understand the problem you're describing. In all three cases
we want "mime handling but no appearance in the menus", and NoDisplay=true
does exactly that. So what's the problem you're trying to fix? Too much crap
showing up in the menu editors as "no display"?