XDG Icon Spec: requesting new icons for headsets, speakers, headphones

Lennart Poettering mzkqt at 0pointer.de
Thu May 14 15:56:08 PDT 2009

On Thu, 14.05.09 17:51, Rodney Dawes (dobey.pwns at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 11:55 -0700, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> > > and has been for a long while now. And the base spec clearly identifies
> > > how to name these device icons anyway, for specific types of devices,
> > > with only the base types being in the base spec, so everything falls
> > > back to those base types.
> >
> > Except clearly the list is incomplete and there are other device types
> > (like speakers and headsets) that you hadn't thought of.  This list
> > doesn't help Lennart's case.
>
> That's fine. But when I make suggestions and the original proposer tells
> me "no that doesn't make sense" and no one else is involved in that
> discussion, there's obviously an impasse. Telling me that hierarchy
> doesn't matter, when the entire point of the Icon Naming spec is the
> hierarchy, is also not helpful to the cause of getting the names added.

I guess you are the only one around who sees the "entire point" of the
Icon Naming spec in the hierarchy. Most other people think the point
of the spec is more that is is a somewhat agreed on vocabulary of
welll known icon names. That's all.

It has certain advantages if there is a hierarchy in those names, but
that's not more than a technical detail that eases resolving in some
cases.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net