XDG Icon Spec: requesting new icons for headsets, speakers, headphones

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Thu May 14 15:57:51 PDT 2009

On Thursday 14 May 2009, Ted Gould wrote:
> > It is something I do in my facilitation of the role as a GNOME developer,
> > and maintainer of the gnome-icon-theme and Tango. However, people like to
> > somehow conflate these activities into one thing, when they disagree with
> > anything I say or do.
>
> And perhaps that is the issue, it may be impossible to maintain an icon
> theme and the icon naming spec.  The two may be so intertwined that it's
> impossible to represent both faithfully at the same time.  Perhaps it
> would be best to choose one, and be an interested party in the other as
> to removed that perceived conflict of interest.

I might not agree in everything that Rodney says or does, but the fact is that
you won't find *anybody* who cares about icon naming, is motivated to put
enough effort in maintaining this stuff, and does not represent a viewpoint that
lacks "conflict of interest".

Rodney pursues a kind of "extremist" GNOME/simplification point of view.
I tried to follow a more "compromise between devs and rightousness" approach,
but wasn't consequent enough to stick with it for a long time.
I don't believe there is anyone who would be remotely interested in
maintaining the spec *and* can claim with a good conscience that there's no
conflict of interest with application developers, themers or semantics.

So let's drop that requirement, please. A person that can facilitate
communication between parties, throws in sufficient work and still cares about
icon naming, that would be more than you'd want to ask for.

Cheers,
  Jakob