Please standardize Screen saver DBus interfaces

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Fri May 15 05:55:37 PDT 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> Further... you *don't* want a media player (etc.) calling Inhibit on the
> power manager.  You want to tell the screen saver to stay out of the way
> for a while, but if the machine (for example) is critically low on
> battery, you probably still want it to go into sleep or hibernate mode
> to save your current state.

That's not what I meant at all. What I said is that ideally the power
manager should expose a way to disable powering down a certain screen,
not inhibit the shutdown/hibernation. Notice I mean a certain screen,
not all screens. There are setups when one of the monitors is used to
display real time calculations or statistics while the rest can be
safely turned off when session is idle. The power manager would
internally use the information to grab necessary inhibits on the
currently running screensaver interface.

I don't see how we can achieve interoperability with inhibiting the
screensaver directly as there are screensavers that don't support DBus
at all and I believe it's easier to keep the necessary hacks in one
place rather than teach each and every application how to inhibit all
of the possible screensavers :)

--
Patryk Zawadzki