Please standardize Screen saver DBus interfaces

André Gillibert rcvxdg at gmail.com
Tue May 19 08:57:49 PDT 2009

Ali Abdallah wrote:
> >> vlc (and totem too), unlike mplayer and xine, disable the screen saver
> >> when it's loaded, and enable it when it's exited (that's what I feel
> >> when I read the source code).
> >>

> > That's wrong. Totem uses XSetScreenSaver when:
> > 1) There's no screensaver on the D-Bus that it supports (eg. no
> > gnome-screensaver)
> > 2) It's not compiled with XTest support, or XTest isn't available.
> >
> > Eg. Totem uses XSetScreenSaver when everything else fails.
> >

> Which should be the other way round.

I agree.
Moreover, to make org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver and org.gnome.ScreenSaver D-Bus interfaces work properly, the KDE and GNOME projects should implement them through calls to XResetScreenSaver so that Inhibit and UnInhibit do what they claim.
Ideally, gnome-screensaver and the KDE screen saver should use the X11 API. A portable abstraction layer may be added, as a library or even a D-Bus interface as long as they end up using the X11 API.
In short: It should interoperate with existing desktop-neutral X11 screen savers and existing X11 screen saver inhibiting software (e.g. X11 media players).

Now, if both GNOME and KDE projects are going to keep their own D-Bus interface, because D-Bus may be a convenient programming interface, might it be worth standardizing this stuff? I'm not sure.

--
André Gillibert