Second Draft of Free Music Player Specifications ready

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at
Fri Nov 6 14:49:40 PST 2009

Peter van Hardenberg wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Jeff Mitchell <mitchell at
> <mailto:mitchell at>> wrote:
>     OK, so you're thinking:
>     FMPS_Rating (canonical user-defined rating)
>     FMPS_Rating_Critic_Ralph=Gleason
>     FMPS_Rating_Critic_Metacritic
>     <snip>
>     Sounds good to me.
> Yes, except FTMPS_Rating_Critic_Ralph=Gleason would violate the rule below.
>     > I like where this is going. I'm thinking something like -- any keys in
>     > the form FMPS_Rating{_*} must be in the range of 0.0 - 1.0.

I don't follow:

Is there some violation there?

> Looking at suggests that
> for MP3
> leaving a space would be more common, and for Vorbis, using an underscore.
> For MP4 we already have a namespace tool, so it would probably be
> something like:
> ----:org.kde.taglib:RATING as per the unit tests.

I can live with that, except I believe org.freedesktop.fmps (or
org.freedesktop.xdg.fmps) would be more appropriate. I would imagine the
latter as it's more fully-descriptive.