Request to register a "Main" desktop Category: Electronics

Peter Brett peter at peter-b.co.uk
Wed Oct 7 02:49:10 PDT 2009

Vincent Untz <vuntz at gnome.org> writes:

> Le lundi 28 septembre 2009, à 08:36 +0200, Chitlesh GOORAH a écrit :
>> Hello there,
>>
>> This is a request to register a "Main" desktop Category: Electronics
>> so that it becomes a standard defined by
>> http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html
>>
>> Name: Electronics
>> Description : Electronics design and simulation software, e.g. a
>> circuit designer
>> Notes: (none)
>
> I don't think it should be a main category. However, we can certainly
> add an additional category for it -- looking at the screenshot you
> provided, there seems to be enough app to justify this. Can you just
> file a bug against the Specification product in bugs.freedesktop.org?

So which *main* category do you think is appropriate for these
applications?  As far as I can tell, the answer is, "None of them!"

Can you at least consider the addition of an "Engineering" main
category?  Otherwise all engineering applications are going to be
scattered between the equally-inappropriate "Graphics", "Education" and
"Development" categories, which is clearly the Wrong Thing.

I can't believe that, after all these years, XDG *still* hasn't managed
to correct this obvious deficiency in the original set of main
categories.

                                       Peter

--
Peter Brett <peter at peter-b.co.uk>