Desktop usability issues: some comments from the country of bears, vodka and ISO8859-5

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 06:02:08 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-03 at 11:17 +0000, Aceler wrote:
> John Tapsell johnflux at gmail.com wrote at Tue Sep 1 07:00:55 PDT 2009:
> >> Another issue - stealing focus. In X Window, every app that requests
> >> focus, gets it.
>
> > I think KWin disables focus stealing by default.  Either way, you can
> > turn it on focus-stealing-prevention.
>
> Well, if you turn the focus stealing prevention in Kwin on, it will
> prevent focus stealing from all windows... including Open/Save dialogs
> for example. Also, it does not prevent window from raising — you will
> get an unfocused, but raised window. Very funny :)
>
> This feature, as I think, is useful only if you set focus follow
> mouse.

Eh, preventing focus stealing is very very hard to get right, especially
for very active users that open/close lots of windows quickly.

The funny part though is that The Web is going through all the same bugs
that have already been fixed in the desktop 10 times over, yet again. :(
Try using some ajax-heavy web sites with sub-windows and dialogs and
you'll see what I mean.