stereoscopy (3d)

Silvio Frischknecht silvio.frischi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 07:13:13 PDT 2009

I'd like to bring up the issue of stereoscopy on x11.

I asked on the irc channel, I googled it but there seems just no concept for
stereoscopy around. (I there is one could some one post me a link)

I'm not a driver developer so every thing I say is based on assumptions.

just now nvidia is bringing out the first mainstream systems with
shutterglasses. Which means there will be lots of 3d films and games available
soon. In fact I think it shouldn't be very difficult to rewrite opengl games to
support stereoscopy.
And if there is no common interface avaliable every driver writer and every
front-end like (xv,opengl) will hack together their own thing - which will
result in a horrible mess soon.

some ideas (that would be cool, though i don't know whether they will be
implementable, since they !might! increase the number of buffers needed)

every window says whether it's able to do stereoscopy

every output can choose what kind of stereoscopy it supports (perhaps configure
with xrandr)
	- anaglyph (color config)
	- alternaging (for shutterglasses, or polarization beamer)
	- left picture
	- right picture
	- unable (in which case right or left will be chosen automatically)

then x11 tells window whether it needs to draw two pictures. and then the
driver joins this two pictures in whichever way the output requires.

Silvio