application class thoughts

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Tue Apr 6 08:25:47 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 10:19 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Ted Gould <ted at gould.cx> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-04-05 at 11:16 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> >> The most important thing is to implement the application menu,
> >> offering at least global options like Quit, New Window, About.  And we
> >> want to experiment with moving e.g. Copy&Paste in there, which could
> >> get us to the point where basic applications wouldn't need a
> >> per-window menu.
> >
> > For the messaging menu in Lucid we did a little bit of work similar to
> > this, just the menu, not solving any of the other problems you've
> > listed.  The design goal was to allow applications a way to provide
> > commonly used messaging functions directly in the menu both when running
> > and not (which many not entirely overlap with your use case).  Though,
> > they don't have to be the same items, it would seem that for most
> > applications you'd want the running set to be larger than the static
> > set.
> >
> > The way that the static items work is by basically the Nautilus actions
> > style of adding groups, but it's much much simpler.  We only have Name,
> > Exec, and ShowIn.
>
> Can you link me to some code/specs for this?

Sure.  The overall messaging menu spec is here:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MessagingMenu

The code for the messaging menu is here:

  https://code.launchpad.net/indicator-messages

The thing similar to Nautilus Actions we nicked "App Shortcuts" and the
spec is here:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ApplicationShortcuts (which seems to have
    gotten deleted, I'll try to figure that out :-/ )

The code to parse it I put into the libindicator library which is just a
library for common code with the various indicators.  I'm linking to the
file because most of the stuff in the lib doesn't relate to each other
(sorry for the long URL):

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~indicator-applet-developers/libindicator/trunk/annotate/head:/libindicator/indicator-desktop-shortcuts.c

All of the code for DBusmenu is at its page.  Not really a specific
thing to link to there:

  https://code.launchpad.net/dbusmenu

I think that's it (besides the page I need to resurrect) tell me if I
missed something or ping me on IRC.

		--Ted