Universal themes: a proposal

François Revol revol at free.fr
Sat Apr 10 07:44:58 PDT 2010

> > Well, most themes usually want distinctive fonts.
> > Usually it's done by people who don't really care about licences
> > though
> > or disregard them as they make them up just for themselves first
> > (as I
> > did), and just take whichever TTF they find on the net that match
> > their
> > liking.
>
> Therefore, please do *not* specify a new font deployment system. A
> theme
> can reference specific fonts (css-like, via font names), but if you
> start deploying font files outside the normal system-wide font
> management layer, this is going to clash/be incoherent with the
> remapping/configuring done at this level, and is going to fail
> horribly
> as soon as you try to use it for anything but trivial ascii-only
> scripts.

Well, it depends on the OS though, some have centralized package
management like apt, others don't...

What is possible is list font names css-like yes, as I mentionned in a

An alternative to embedding the files would be to give urls to locate
them.
CSS does have a provision for this also (though IIRC it's an M$
extension).

> Do *not* assume you can just specify font needs with ascii-only
> European
> languages in mind, and shoehorn i18n/opentype typographic features
> later
> trivialy. This won't work. Modern font use is very complex and best
> left
> to dedicated management systems.

I do know, I use BeOS (and Haiku), and we've been using UTF-8 for over
a decade, before Linux even knew about it.

François.