Icon Naming spec and Telepathy

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Thu Aug 5 10:51:12 PDT 2010

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 at 10:04:09 +0200, Guillaume Desmottes wrote:
> I'd like to propose to add 'user-invisible' to the list of status icons.

Using user-invisible is probably better if some icon themes already include
it, but for reference, this is called 'hidden' in Telepathy:
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec/Connection_Interface_Simple_Presence.html

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 at 10:04:52 +0200, Guillaume Desmottes wrote:
> Is there any reason to have named user-idle that way?
> The icon used when a user on a chat network has not been an active
> participant in any chats on the network, for an extended period of time.
>
> Reading its description user-extended-away sounds like a more sensible
> name and would fit better with current terminology used in IM clients.

Telepathy calls this 'xa' or Extended_Away, depending on context; 'xa' is
probably not clear enough for the icon naming spec, though.

Empathy also uses the following non-standard icons which could usefully be
added to the Icon Naming Spec:

* user-busy
* user-typing
* im-message
* im-message-new
* im-FOO where FOO is any protocol name from
  http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec/Connection_Manager.html#Protocol
  (currently: aim, gadugadu, groupwise, icq, irc, jabber, local-xmpp, msn,
  myspace, mxit, napster, qq, sametime, silc, sip, skype, tel, trepia, yahoo,
  yahoojp, zephyr)
* some more specific versions of the protocol icons for particular providers:
  im-facebook, im-google-talk, im-ekiga

Telepathy also has these well-known statuses which don't map directly to
an Icon Naming icon:

* brb (Be Right Back, a very-short-term form of user-away - user-away-brb?)
* dnd (Do Not Disturb, a more specific form of user-busy - user-busy-dnd?)
* unknown (usually displayed as empathy-pending in Empathy -
  user-offline-unknown perhaps?)
* error (an error occurred while discovering someone's presence -
  user-offline-error perhaps?)

Empathy also has:

* empathy-pending: displayed instead of user-available (etc.) if we've asked
  to see a user's presence but they haven't accepted or rejected our request