Universal themes: a proposal

David D Lowe daviddlowe.flimm at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 4 13:33:00 PST 2010

Hello everyone.

May I present my proposal for "universal themes". You can get the PDF or
the OpenOffice.org document at one of these URLs:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1198858/Universal%20themes.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1198858/Universal%20themes.odt

The idea is to describe a new file format for themes of different types.
This new file format would make sorting, searching, previewing,
installing and combining themes of different types straight-forward.
Currently, a lot of themes are simple packaged in a tarball, which is
not very accessible to an end-user.

I'm the developer of Epidermis, a theme manager for GNOME. Instead of
pushing Epidermis' theme format (.pigment), I thought I'd design and
propose a theme format that's universal: one that could be adopted by
KDE, GNOME, Xfce, third-party programs (Songbird, VLC) and even Windows.
I also tried to make it as future-proof as possible. Obviously, I need
your advice and approval.

Tell me what you think,
David D Lowe