DPMS and automatic sleep inhibit API

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Feb 18 08:43:55 PST 2010

On February 18, 2010, Ali Abdallah wrote:
>     AFAIK inhibit interface in gnome is moved from gpm to the
> gnome-session, most
> gnome applications uses the org.gnome.Session.Inhibit to inhibit
> automatic sleep,
> while this will not work if running these apps under other desktop
> environment
> (Xfce, KDE, ...). I think KDE also have something similar for their
> session

KDE, as part of kded, implements org.freedesktop.PowerManagement
/org/freedesktop/PowerManagement/Inhibit as:

method bool CanHibernate()
signal void CanHibernateChanged(bool can_hibernate)
method bool CanSuspend()
signal void CanSuspendChanged(bool can_suspend)
method bool GetPowerSaveStatus()
method void Hibernate()
signal void PowerSaveStatusChanged(bool save_power)
method void org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.Suspend()
method bool Inhibit.HasInhibit()
signal void Inhibit.HasInhibitChanged(bool has_inhibit)
method uint Inhibit.Inhibit(QString application, QString reason)
method void Inhibit.UnInhibit(uint cookie)

as can be seen, this includes the Inhibit interface and there was consensus
reached here in terms of actually implementing the interface.

so if this really hasn't be finalized what i'd suggest is: resurrect the dbus
spec for org.freedesktop.PowerManagement, move it into the git repository and
ratify it.

same for org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver, btw.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se