DPMS and automatic sleep inhibit API

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Feb 19 07:29:34 PST 2010

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 20:55:13 +0100, Dario Freddi <drf54321 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> As Aaron pointed out already, in KDE the spec is implemented, but a
> possible work on improving it and resurrecting it eventually (didn't
> know it was dead, btw.) is more than appreciated, but I would like to
> have a voice in reviewing it.

It seems neither the screen saver nor the power management inhibition
interfaces take window XID anywhere. That will be a problem for multiple
displays configuration. I mean, the media player or game or whatever might
not be using all displays. But the screen saver and power management
back-ends have no way to determine which display(s) the application wants
to use with the current D-Bus interface.

This is in contrast with xdg-utils/xdg-screensaver, which does take a XID
parameter for suspend and resume. In theory. In practice, xdg-screensaver
seems broken on KDE4 and I guess on GNOME too. I guess it fails to keep its
DBus connection open (qdbus and dbus-snend can't do that), such that the
back-end discards the inhibit requests almost immediately.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net