Proposing the StatusNotifier specification

Vincent Untz vuntz at gnome.org
Wed Jan 6 06:18:18 PST 2010

Hi,

Le jeudi 17 décembre 2009, à 18:07 +0100, Aurélien Gâteau a écrit :
> This specification is already implemented by KDE in kdelibs [2] and
> Canonical is working on an implementation for GNOME, libappindicator [3].

Reading [4], I had the feeling that this would now be implemented
directly in GTK+ (but for the release after 2.20). Did I get this wrong?

I would think it'd be better to have this implementation done before
accepting the specification. However, I guess it might be okay to start
using the org.freedesktop namespace for the dbus API.

I find org.freedesktop.StatusNotifierItem a bit, hrm, weird, though. Why
not org.freedesktop.StatusItem or org.freedesktop.NotificationItem.

(same for StatusNotifierWatcher, btw)

Vincent

[4] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2009-November/msg00203.html

--