Proposing the StatusNotifier specification

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 07:03:52 PST 2010

On Wednesday 06 January 2010, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le jeudi 17 décembre 2009, à 18:07 +0100, Aurélien Gâteau a écrit :
> > This specification is already implemented by KDE in kdelibs [2] and
> > Canonical is working on an implementation for GNOME, libappindicator [3].
>
> Reading [4], I had the feeling that this would now be implemented
> directly in GTK+ (but for the release after 2.20). Did I get this wrong?
>
> I would think it'd be better to have this implementation done before
> accepting the specification. However, I guess it might be okay to start
> using the org.freedesktop namespace for the dbus API.

I think if it's in a good path to be realy implemented, it should really be
pushed, because it will make things way easier for both the KDE and the
libappindicator implementations, so we should really switch namespace asap.
I'm fine however to still have some reviews (more eyeballs the better) before
a final "ratification"

> I find org.freedesktop.StatusNotifierItem a bit, hrm, weird, though. Why
> not org.freedesktop.StatusItem or org.freedesktop.NotificationItem.

well, it acttally changed name at least 4-5 times and have been issues for
each of those names.
NotificationItem was indeed the last one, but the problem was the potential
confusion with the notification system, StatusItem would be probably ok-ish
too, but not significantly better than StatusNotifierItem
a Status notifier item is a thing that notifies about the status of an
application, so even if not totally pretty is a name that seems to make
perfect sense.

> (same for StatusNotifierWatcher, btw)
>
> Vincent
>
> [4]