Proposing the StatusNotifier specification

Dan Winship danw at gnome.org
Wed Jan 20 08:01:02 PST 2010

On 01/20/2010 08:25 AM, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Having applications control visualization means you can have N different
> behaviors, leading to inconsistency. This is what happens with the
> current x-embed protocol.

It happens with StatusNotifier too; if you have a mix of KDE-based and
GNOME-based StatusNotifierItems, and they all implement pop up menus on
Activate, then you'll have Qt menus on the KDE Items, and Gtk menus on
the GNOME Items.

Of course, dbusmenu/libappindicator fix that, but at the cost of
restricting what sorts of visualizations are possible. But IMHO that's a
Good Thing. A spec that says "visualizations support pop-up menus, but
you have to let the visualization draw the menu itself" is vastly more
useful to me than one that says "visualizations might support emiting a
signal letting you draw whatever you want, but then again, maybe they
don't".

-- Dan