Proposing the StatusNotifier specification

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jan 25 10:40:01 PST 2010

On January 25, 2010, Giles Atkinson wrote:
> Aaaron,
>
> Another deferred follow-up, but on 19th January, you wrote:
> > would it help if the entry for ApplicationStatus was extended from ...
> > to something like: ...
>
> I think that would answer the category objection entirely.

great; we'll include that in the spec then.

> > is there information in these systems that offers a categorization?
>
> In my case the application just gets an icon image and a text fragment to
> be displayed on mouse-over.

right, so really not much to work with. unfortunate, but that's how it goes at
times :)

> > if you could offer an example of the sentence you have in mind, that
> > would be helpful.
>
> How about "Implementations that previously offered a similar service via
> the Xembed-based system tray specification SHOULD give consideration to
> support for older clients, maintaining support for the older interface for
> a transitional period."

that seems sensible to me as well; let's include it :)

> It might also be useful to specify the mapping between the interfaces,
> insofar as one exists.  For example WM_NAME, might map to "Title" in the
> new interface.

that would make for a nice appendix with an "advisory" status, imho. i don't
know when we will get to such a thing ourselves (Marco, myself) due to time
constraints, but if anyone else would like to contribute such a table that
would make it happen a lot quicker.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se