.log directory

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 10:30:12 PST 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 18:17 +0100, Wolfram Kleff wrote:
> Request for Comments/Standards update suggestion:
>
> I would like to suggest a ".log" directory in the $HOME directory like the
> ".cache" directory.
> The ".log" directory would be a good place for all the log, history and recent
> files which litter the $HOME directory or fill up unnoticed in some config
> subdirectorys.

> Suggestions welcome ;-)

Put them somewhere in $XDG_CACHE_HOME, because they are files that
shouldn't hurt anything if removed. The cookie/socket files may break
the operation of running programs on your system, so probably shouldn't
go in CACHE_HOME, but not sure where they should go.

Putting logs in CONFIG_HOME is bad, as logs aren't config. It would be
nice though, if there was an XDG_STATE_HOME, similar to var, where you
could put state information, such as the cookies/sockets, and
information currently being stored in configuration, which is actually
state (window size/position, etc...).