Mime/Icon association

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Wed Mar 3 11:20:09 PST 2010

Am 02.03.10, 13:45 -0500 schrieb Matthias Clasen:
> On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 15:26 +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am searching for a way to tell filemanagers about a certain mime type
>> and a according icon. What I could do is to install the mime type xml file
>> in the style described here:
>> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/AddingMIMETutor
>>
>> Additional I have added a <generic-icon name="oyranos_logo"/> element. But
>> this seems to have no effect (dolphin and nautilus). In fact this icon is
>> provided as PNG in:
>> ~/.local/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/oyranos_logo.png   and
>> $(prefix)/share/pixmaps/oyranos_logo.png
>> The icons in that paths are used for applications just fine, e.g.
>> inkscape.
>>
>> Is my mime xml file somehow wrong (attached)?
>> Is on freedesktop.org a tutorial on how to install a application including
>> a own data format?
>>
>> I must admit the spec pages on freedesktop.org is somewhat confusing.
>> There are even specs which do not have a date inside, especially the
>> "Shared MIME-info Database" spec.
>>
>> Perhaps the generic-icon element is simply not yet implemented?
>>

> generic-icon is implemented just fine in gvs and nautilus.
>
> As a first step in untangling your problem, I would recommend running
> gvfs-info on one of the files you expect to show that icon, and study
> the results.

This hint was very helpful on my exploration. I have now switched to the
shared-mime-info-0.71 with application/vnd.iccprofile naming and installed
icons for that name as application-vnd.iccprofile.png . It is found by
both desktops file managers. Nautilus seems even to handle the
generic-icon, while Dolphin ignores that. Nautilus can even remember the
file types after deinstallation. Dolphin seems In this respect more
correct and forgets that. However only one opens the mime types with the
specified application. Lots to learn and hopefully things become easier
with time.

Anyway a good step forward and something to show on the next Linux meeting
in Chemnitz.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--