startup-notification patch for APPLICATION_ID

Vincent Untz vuntz at gnome.org
Fri Mar 5 04:13:14 PST 2010

Le mercredi 03 mars 2010, à 10:22 +0100, Lubos Lunak a écrit :
> On Friday 26 of February 2010, Colin Walters wrote:
> > Hi Lubos, thanks for the feedback!
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote:
> > >  What is actually supposed to be the improvement? I suppose this addition
> > > might be useful, but I fail to see how it helps with tracking.
> >
> > There's actually two parts; I wasn't clear on this originally:
> >
> > * Knowing precisely what .desktop file was launched immediately (this
> > is important for our UI)
> > * Later when the application sends a startup completion message we
> > know what X window that came from, and can then make a strong
> > association between .desktop and X window.
>
>  That says what it does, but still not why. I assume you want this for some
> kind of a launcher button that will also do other things when the application
> is running. But in this case that launcher already knows, and why should
> others need it?

Example:

 + open file manager
 + double-click on pdf file
 + (mime system magic => .desktop file for an app handling pdf is found)
 + okular/evince/whatever gets started

You might want to be able to match the window started this way with the
.desktop file, but in a tasklist that doesn't live in the file manager.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.