startup-notification patch for APPLICATION_ID

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Mar 18 06:48:04 PDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote:

>  For reasons already mentioned and given the use case, I'd prefer if the spec
> addition just said:
> ===
> +  APPLICATION_ID
> +
> +          name of the application desktop file being started, if any,
> +          without any file path or extension
> ===

But in the case where a .desktop file is launched outside of the
default paths, or in the case of duplicates, it's really helpful to
know the full path.  Think for example of someone who has a system
installation of Firefox, and also installs a beta into their home
directory.  That's two mozilla-firefox.desktop files.  Ideally, the
system would handle this and at least differentiate them internally,
not treating them as the same app.  (People have asked about this
particular case already)

Why would we throw away the extra information?