desktop entry proposal: TerminateSafe=true key

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon May 10 05:03:19 PDT 2010

On Friday 07 of May 2010, Colin Walters wrote:
> I propose the addition of a new key for .desktop files, of the form:
>
> TerminateSafe=true
>
> What this simply means is that if the operating system is under memory
> pressure, it can at its discretion terminate the Unix processes
> associated with this application without notice (i.e. SIGKILL).

 Desktop files contain information relevant for launching applications. What
you describe is for when they are running and as such .desktop files is not a
good place for it. How do you know what .desktop file is associated with a
specific Unix process? Rhetorical question, because you don't, and never will
for sure.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 openSUSE Boosters team, KDE developer