Draft "StatusNotifierIcon" broken by design

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed May 19 09:42:30 PDT 2010

On May 19, 2010, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> great prospects for those who actually try to take adavantage of x's
> inherent networking transparency (the price of which one has to pay
> anyway): crap notifier items or no notifier items. wow. that's progress.

Given that "crap notifier items" are the status quo which nobody had bothered
to do anything to (e.g. improve) for years (even after I first noted their
flaws to the people involved ~6 years ago), it's not a regression. At the very
least we've improved the (in practice overwhelmingly) common case
signficantly.

The reality, however, is that what you point out won't affect only notifier
items, but all communication done over DBus. It's a more general problem that
will only be addressed by making it easy (as in "transparent") to route DBus
over the same network that the X session is on.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se