Draft "StatusNotifierIcon" broken by design

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed May 19 13:15:14 PDT 2010

On May 19, 2010, Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:
> For general purpose messaging a system like "StatusNotifierIcon" is the
> most appropriate solution, however I'd call it "StatusNotifier" (not
> -Icon).

We call them "StatusNotifierItems" in the spec. (Yes, the original subject
line is incorrect, as there is no "StatusNotifierIcon". :)

> The other are mini applets which are highly application specific. And
> those you will never be able to map all of them into a unified
> look-and-feel status notifier system, because there always might appear
> a program which requires some elements, which can't be implemented in a
> elegant way through a limited set of markup-widgets.

Then the app is doing something it shouldn't be. System tray abuse may appease
the application deveoper, but it does very little for the user. We have
successfully transitioned all the apps in our repository over to the new
protocol without problems. Some apps have required minor adjustments, but the
result tends to be an improvement in user experience. So in practice it works
well.

For apps that do things like "show a network usage graph in the system tray",
they need to die a quick and painless death. That is was native
widgets/applets are for, and they do a much, much better job of it. In the
Plasma workspaces, more and more of the hardware oriented entries are actually
applets due to the increased expresiveness and flexibility they provide. The
user only sees a bunch of icons in the system tray, of course. They don't care
how they get there. Only that they are harmonious and work as well as they
can. It's therefore up to us, the designers of these environments, to make
reasonable decisions that will deliver those results.

Application developers need to move away from the idea that the system tray is
a ghetto for their unique perspective on life to express itself in. It's a
very specific kind of tool that fits into the user experience in (hopefully)
some very well defined ways.

We are purposefully working _away_ from "no holds barred" usage of the system
tray by applications and towards a system with well defined constraints and
allowances.

This may well be a difference in philosophy with some other viewpoints. It is,
however, the one some of us are taking and we really have no desire to go
backwards on it. It's paying off too many dividends for us to do so. :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se