Base Directory Specification and plugins

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Nov 23 12:16:16 PST 2010

On Tuesday, 23 de November de 2010 20:50:53 Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Tue, 23.11.10 13:42, Ryan Lortie (desrt at desrt.ca) wrote:
> > Hi,

> > With only slight hesitation due to fears of political correctness, I'd
> > suggest using Debian arch names here.  They tend to be an awful lot more
> > sane for this purpose.
>
> Why not use utsname.sysname[] plus utsname.machine[]? i.e. the output of
> uname -sm:
>
>     $ uname -sm
>     Linux x86_64

Because the machine and processor don't map to C ABI.

My N900 says:

$ uname -sm
Linux armv7l

However, that doesn't mean anything about the floating-point argument passing
ABI (see the AAPCS). That output above is the same that MeeGo 1.1 shows on the
same device. However, for MeeGo 1.2, we'll have a separate architecture
"armv7lh" for the binaries built with passing arguments in HW registers.

This extra "h" will not show up in the kernel machine name because it doesn't
affect kernel ABI.

Another thing to remember is the C++ ABI: it depends on the compiler used. On
some platforms where gcc is the "ruling compiler" the IA-64 ABI is the only
one. On some other platforms where gcc is a "guest compiler" (Solaris, AIX,
etc.), the compiler name might be relevant.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358