I found it useful to generalize .local

Martin Konold konold at kde.org
Mon Apr 11 02:52:32 PDT 2011

Am Montag, 11. April 2011, 11:41:58 schrieb Thiago Macieira:

Hi,

> There's nothing wrong with having your binaries in $HOME/.local/bin. That
> would contribute to de-polluting the home dir.

Yes, I agree. Especially because in the common case when $HOME is displayed in
a DE the user is explicitly not interested in "systems"-directories.

I am in favour of using $HOME/.local/bin provided that all other directories
like share, lib etc. are consisten with the FHS. After all this would make it
simpler for packagers to create packages for the rpm-root $HOME/.local/bin in
a clean manner.

Yours,
-- martin