Base Directory Specification and plugins

Yury G. Kudryashov urkud.urkud at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 06:45:05 PST 2011

В сообщении от 11 декабря 2011 09:04:17 вы написали:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Yury G.  Kudryashov
Replying to the list.

> Hi
>
> Why are these outside /usr or /usr/local to begin with? It seems like
> the initial premise is asking XDG to make an exception which subverts
> FHS.
Example: a lot of software compiled by one user for many other users (say, on
a shared hosting). Why you're against XDG_PLUGIN_DIRS but not XDG_DATA_DIRS
and XDG_CONFIG_DIRS?

> Instead, XDG could add `XDG_LOCAL_HOME` / `XDG_LOCAL_DIRS`. That would
> be generally helpful in many cases, including yours, albeit not
> exactly what was asked for.
If XDG_LOCAL_DIRS is a set of prefixes, defaults to /usr/local:/usr and every
program should look for plugins/data/config, then it is OK for me.

> Isolating LIBRARY
Not libraries (there is LD_LIBRARY_PATH) but dlopen'd plugins.
> out special so people can put them willy-nilly
> wherever they like sounds like a slippery slope. Will others ask for
> XDG_BIN_DIRS,
There exists $PATH
> XDG_MAN_DIRS,
There exists $MANPATH